Thomas A. Saunders III
DIRECTOR SINCE 1993
Nominating and Corporate Governance Committee
Mr. Saunders is the CEO of Ivor & Co., LLC, a private investment firm. He is a founder of Saunders Karp & Megrue, a private equity firm that owned 50% of Dollar Tree at the time of its IPO and whose retail companies included Ollie’s Bargain Outlet, Bob’s Discount Furniture, Marie Callender’s, Café Rio, Mimi’s Café, Miller’s Ale House, Children’s Place, rue21, Charlotte Russe, Tommy Bahama, Hat World, Targus and Norcraft Companies. He is a Senior Advisor to numerous private equity firms and serves as Trustee and Chairman of the Finance Committee of the New York Historical Society, Trustee of the Marine Corps University Foundation, and Trustee of Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory.
PREVIOUS WORK AND BOARD EXPERIENCE
• 2013 to Present: Lead Director and Chairman of the Nominating and Corporate Governance Committee of VitalConnect
• 1996 to 2016: Director for Hibbett Sports serving on the Audit, Nominating and Corporate Governance, and Compensation Committees
• 2005 to 2018: Trustee and Chairman of the Heritage Foundation
• 2011 to 2012: Chairman of the Nominating and Corporate Governance Committee for Teavana Holdings
• 2001 to 2005: Member of the Board of Visitors of the University of Virginia; Chairman of the Finance Committee
• 1974 to 1989: Managing Director of Morgan Stanley & Co., leading its Capital Markets Group, managing its Syndicate Department and serving as Chairman of its Leveraged Equity Fund II (“MSLEF II”)
• 2007 to 2019: Lead Independent Director, Dollar Tree
• 2001 to 2019: Nominating and Corporate Governance Committee, and Chair from 2001 to 2007 and 2009 to 2019, Dollar Tree
• 2001 to 2007: Chair of the Audit Committee, Dollar Tree
• Mr. Saunders holds a BSEE from Virginia Military Institute and an MBA from the University of Virginia Darden School of Business.
• Mr. Saunders is a financial expert with preeminent experience in investment banking and domestic and global capital markets. He worked closely with Morgan Stanley clients managing IPOs, equity and debt financings and advising on capital structures. His innovation led to the implementation of new public offering techniques still used in today’s equity markets. Mr. Saunders has extensive experience with retail company strategy, operations and corporate governance. He drove investment and valuation analysis to maximize equity value across a portfolio of over 50 retail, industrial and healthcare companies, and he has a deep understanding of the Dollar Tree business.